National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Nigeria, Father Solomon Zaku, has called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration to ensure that justice is properly served in the ongoing trial of suspects linked to the 2022 Pentecost Sunday attack on St. Francis Xavier Owo Catholic Parish in the Ondo Diocese.
The attack, which took place on May 22, 2022, resulted in the deaths of at least 50 people.
In an interview with ACI Africa on August 21, after the arraignment of five suspects in Abuja, Father Zaku stressed that the authorities should not grant bail to the accused, noting that such a decision would add to the grief of the victims’ families and further erode trust in Nigeria’s justice system.
The five men accused of orchestrating the deadly attack were remanded in custody on August 19, pending a court ruling on their bail application, which is set for September 10. These individuals pleaded not guilty during their arraignment and are seeking bail almost three years after their arrest.
“I thought the court had already established their links with ISIS and other foreign terrorist organizations. Now that they are facing trial, they should not be granted bail,” Zaku said, referring to earlier investigations by Nigerian security agencies that revealed the suspects’ connections to international terrorist groups.
The priest added that releasing the suspects would send the wrong message to the victims’ families and the wider Christian community, particularly in light of the violent nature of the attack.
“The families who lost loved ones are still mourning,” he said. “Allowing those responsible for their deaths to be granted bail without significant consequences would be deeply hurtful.”
Zaku also emphasized the gravity of the situation, pointing out that Nigerian security agencies, including the Department of State Security Service, had uncovered the links between the attackers and ISIS, a finding he described as “serious” and deserving of thorough attention.
The Owo attack, he explained, was particularly shocking because of the location and the lack of any historical insurgency in the region.
“Owo is in the southern part of Nigeria, a place with no history of insurgency. This attack represents a disturbing extension of terrorism to areas previously untouched by such violence,” he said. “It sends a clear message to Nigerian Christians that they are vulnerable.”
While Father Zaku stressed the importance of prayer, he also urged Christians not to limit their response to spiritual practices alone.
“We must pray, but we also need to be vigilant and aware of our security. We should not take anything for granted,” he said.
Zaku encouraged the families of the victims to take heart from the ongoing prosecution of the suspects, adding that it was a sign that the state had not neglected their suffering.
“The legal process is a reminder that the state is still committed to seeking justice for them,” he said.
As a priest based in the Maiduguri Diocese, Zaku also praised the security agencies for their role in bringing the suspects to court.
“I commend the security agencies for their work, especially for connecting the attackers to ISIS. Without their efforts, we wouldn’t have known this crucial information,” he noted.
However, he cautioned that the process should not stop with the arraignment. “It cannot just end here,” he said. “The government must ensure that justice is carried out to the fullest extent. Those responsible must face the full weight of the law.”
For Father Zaku, the Owo massacre represents more than just an act of terror. It serves as a test of Nigeria’s commitment to upholding justice, ensuring national security, and protecting religious freedoms.
He also called on the government to identify and pursue those funding these attacks, including any international supporters. “Justice must prevail, and the victims must know that their lives and sacrifices are not in vain,” he concluded.