At least two children were killed and more than a dozen others were injured on Wednesday when a shooter opened fire during a church service at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis.
According to Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara, the gunman fired a rifle from outside the building, shooting through the windows of the church where students and families had gathered for Mass. The service marked the first week of the school year.
“During the Mass, a gunman approached on the outside on the side of the building and began firing a rifle through the church windows towards the children sitting in the pews at the Mass.
Shooting through the windows, he struck children and worshipers that were inside the building,” O’Hara said.
The attacker was identified by law enforcement sources as someone who may have used the names Robin Westman and Robert Westman. Authorities described the individual as a man in his early twenties, wearing black clothing.
In addition to the rifle, the shooter was reportedly carrying a shotgun and a handgun.
O’Hara said two children, aged eight and ten, died at the scene. Seventeen others were injured, including fourteen children.
The shooter was later found dead at the rear of the church from what officials say was a self-inflicted wound.
“There is no active threat to the community at this time,” the Minneapolis Police Department said in a statement. “The shooter is contained.”
Mayor Jacob Frey addressed the public, saying, “There are no words that can capture the horror and the evil of this unspeakable act. We are a Minneapolis family. But to everybody out there, do not think of these as just somebody else’s kids.
Those families are suffering immense pain right now. Think of this as if it were your own. Every one of us needs to be wrapping our arms around these families, giving them every ounce that we can muster.”
Governor Tim Walz shared that he had been briefed on the situation and said, “I’m praying for our kids and teachers whose first week of school was marred by this horrific act of violence.”
Hennepin Healthcare confirmed that it is treating victims from the incident.
Children’s Minnesota Hospital reported six children were receiving care at its facility.
The investigation remains ongoing.